- 1 tsp each lemon zest, dried Thyme, ground black pepper and salt, combined
- 1/3 cup Manawa honey (we recommend tawari honey)
- 1kg or so whole side of salmon or trout, skin on, scaled, deboned where possible
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp mild Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp chili powder (or cayenne powder), optional if you like a bit of spice
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges, optional
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 190°C.
Line a baking tray with a large piece of foil, big enough to fold over and seal to create a packet for the fish to bake in.
In a small saucepan, combine the honey, mustard, butter, garlic and lemon. Whisk lightly until the honey has melted through the butter and the mixture is well combined.
Place the fish onto a lined baking tray and pour the butter-honey mixture over the salmon and spread evenly over the salmon. Sprinkle with the salt mix. Fold the sides of the foil over the fish to cover and completely seal the packet closed so the butter does not leak.
Bake until cooked through, about 10-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish and your preference of doneness.
Open the foil, being careful of any escaping steam, and grill under the grill for 3-4 minutes on medium heat to caramelise the top. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
This is lovely served with a fresh green salad.