- 1/3 cup semisweet honey (we recommend tawari honey)
- 1 gala apple (cored and cubed)
- 1 granny smith apple (cored and cubed)
- 1/2 large red onion (1/4 inch chop)
- 125g thick-cut bacon (chopped and
- 6 garlic cloves (diced)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- ½ tsp sumac (use 1 tsp for a tarter
- 1 tsp horopito powder (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 cups apple juice
In a large pot add the wet ingredients with the bacon, apples, pepper and onion. Cook on med-low heat for 30-40 mins, until the apples and onions have become soft. Add the sumac and Horopito if using and cook for another 10 minutes.
In a blender wiz, the sauce to make it smooth and return to the pot. Add 1-2 cups of apple juice to make the sauce thinner (to your liking) and cook at a simmer for 10 minutes.
Bottle while hot into warm bottles or jars and seal tight. Once opened store in the fridge for up to 1 month.