- 2 tbsp Manawa Honey (we recommend Tawari Honey), warmed to a liquid. Add a tsp lemon zest when warming
- 250g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 80g Butter, unsalted, cubed
- Pinch of Salt
- 100g of mature Cheddar or tasty, plus extra for the top.
- 1 egg
- 75ml Milk
- You can also add chopped garlic, chopped bacon etc to your taste
Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C or for fan oven, 200 degrees C. Do this well before needing to bake so its fully up to temp and stable
In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then rub together the butter and flour mixture until you have a breadcrumb like texture, then fold through the cheese.
Add an egg and start to bring the mixture together using a knife. Add the milk and use your knife to get an initial mix and then with your hands bring the mixture together dough. It does not have to be perfect and smooth.
Lightly dust a work surface with flour then roll out the dough to 25mm thick. No thinner. Cut to shape with a knife or 5-7cm cookie cutter
Place the scones on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Lightly brush the top and sides of each scone with the honey then sprinkle over a little bit more cheese on the top is desired.
Bake the scones in a preheated oven for 18-22 minutes until they are golden brown.
Leave the scones to cool on a wire rack.